You are here
This toolkit engages children in a series of fun activities to help them identify and explain safety and health risks and hazards both at school and at home. It offers children the means to develop an understanding of their own responsibility in relation to risks and hazards and to evaluate different levels of risks.
To know how to address a range of hazards that may create a risk to myself and others.
To understand my own responsibility in relation to risks and hazards.
To evaluate different levels of risks.
To work as a team to prepare materials that demonstrate the above learning.
Show the first scene from the Napo film “Safe Start- Watch out for others too” provided with this lesson
- Why should we prevent hazardsfor ourselves and others?
- How can we prevent accidents when we see something dangerous?
Hunt the hazard Watch the Napo clip provided with this lesson:Intervention-Risk prevention
Film: Safe Start, Scene: Watch Out For Others Too.
Film: Risky Business, Scenes: Act On Risks.
- Discuss and define the hazards shown in the scenes and what sort of other hazards they are aware of. Encourage children to explain what they would do to prevent hazards and risks.
- Discuss how some risks are more dangerous than others by making a list of the risks in order of most severe consequences to less severe and ask the children which risks require the most urgent intervention. (See helpsheet).
- Produce a song, dance or short play to help people remember how to protect themselves and each other from dangers.
- Presentation/discussion on the variety of typical risks we may encounter based on a selection of Napo clips (road accidents, electricity, slips and trips, falls from height – e.g. stairs, chemicals, noise).
- Discussion on caring for others i.e. preventing them from accidents (avoiding risks, inform others of newly intervened risks).
- Discussion on how to intervene on risks based on a selection of Napo clips.
- Group Activity including the tasks outlined overleaf.
A list of potential Napo clips for extension work can be found here: www.napofilm.net/en/napos-films
- Gold: I can explain at least three types of risk or hazard to myself and others. I can evaluate the level of risk and communicate clearly in an engaging way what action should be taken in each case.
- Silver: I can explain a risk and a hazard (for myself and for others) at home and in the classroom. I can identify what action to take for both of these and explain this clearly.
- Bronze: I can explain what a risk is and identify an action to take.
- Tambourine for rap performance (optional)
- SE_Help sheet for teachers: Intervention and prevention
- Hazard Spotting Poster Solutions
- Group Activity: Napo’s Hazard House
- Leta efter/upptäcka faror – rapportblad
- Napo’s Hazard Hunter: Intervention and prevention